It’s summertime! Hot and humid days of perspiration. Embarrassing sweat rings, dripping foreheads, sweaty palms and soles.
It’s cool when you hitting the gym, you don’t mind sweat. It is a badge of honour, a sign that you’re pushing yourself.
But dripping with sweat even on an average day at office, or at a family brunch is less ideal and a lil bit perplexing. You must be thinking, why am I sweating like a pig?
Are you sweating more than normal? Having a shirt stained with sweat is a sure way to lose confidence, be on a date or a meeting!
What exactly is Sweat? And What Sweating does? Sweating also known as perspiration. Sweating controls your body temperature. It’s the body’s inherent way of cooling itself down.
Why do people smell after they sweat? Sweat itself does not have any odor. It contains 99% water, 1% is salt, protein and fat-based metabolites.
The bacteria present in the skin cells causes the breakdown of protein, in the sweat leading to body odor. Even if you do sweat profusely, you do not have to deal with body odour.
What is hyperhidrosis? Abnormal, unpredictable and excessive sweating is Hyperhidrosis. This can be caused due to Hormones, Emotions like Anxiety & Stress, Physical Activity, Pregnancy, Diabetes, Menopause, Thyroid, Drugs / medication and few other reasons.
You can have excessive sweating in
When do people first notice excessive sweating?
Most people first notice excessive sweating during their teen and pre – teen years. As their body’s metabolism changes or their hormones levels increase.
What are the treatment options for excessive sweating? There are lot of medical treatments for excessive sweating like:
on the other had I would still recommend doing this the Natural way !
What are the 5-ways approach to treat excessive sweating naturally
1. Diet modifications – Avoid foods which cause sweating
· Cut back on spicy wings, meats and curries
· Pepper contains capsaicin a compound that stimulates nerve receptors causing you sweating more
· Avoid Garlic - although it does not make you perspire. The volatile organic compounds in the spice are more likely to make your sweat smell like ammonia
· Keep yourself hydrated – drink plenty of water
2. Lifestyle modifications
· sleep at least 6 – 7 hours at night
· work in a well-ventilated room
· prefer cold water baths
· wear light, flowing natural fabrics like cotton, hemp or bamboo
· skip the booze
3. Stress management
· try to take long slow breaths during anxiety and panic attacks
· practice Pranayama
· manage your temper
· count on happy thoughts
4. Home remedies
· Soak 10 raisins in a bowl of water overnight and have on an empty stomach each morning
· After meals, have a teaspoon of amla churna [powdered Indian gooseberry] with jaggery [gur]
· add 10 – 12 drops of jasmine oil / lavender oil or rose water in your bathing water
· take tomato juice often - as it regulates sweat glands
· soak a sponge / clean cloth in apple cider vinegar and compress under arm pits
5. Ayurvedic treatment
· padmakadi kashaya [decoction]
· sarivadi vati [tablet]
· saptamrita loha
· sariva powder one teaspoon after each meal
· manjistha powder one teaspoon after each meal
Now let’s make a simple Home Remedy for sweaty underarms:
Step 1: one teaspoon each of lemon juice
Step 2: baking soda in a small bowl
Step 3: Make a Paste
Step 4: apply this paste in the armpits with a cotton pad
Step 5: let it sit for about 20- 30 minutes
Step 6: rinse off with water
This is one such effective remedy, which can control the problem of excessive sweating of your underarms to a large extent.
If you have sensitive skin or need help or advice
Visit an Ayurvedic Skin Consultant or Dermatologist or a Skin Specialist
Issued in Public Interest by
Dr Swati Watwani, an Ayurvedic Skin Care Specialist